Among the pre-Alpine reliefs and the plain where are located the lakes of Alserio and Pusiano: here is Erba!
Erba is a town full of villas, among which stands out Villa Amalia, which was built in 1488 on the site of an ancient convent and was later transformed in 1799 by one of the gratest neoclassical architects, Leopold Pollack. A chapel was preserved from the ancient convent, the entrance of which is dominated by a rose window. From the cloister area, Pollack obtained the courtyard of honor, through which you enter the villa, surrounded by a beautiful garden.
Here the beauty of nature competes with that built by man: an example is Alpe del Vicerè, where is located the so-called Buco del Piombo, a 685 meters above the sea level cave which develops into a complex system of tunnels for over 650 meters. Interesting prehistoric finds have also been found in the cave.
Erba, dating back to Roman times, preserves medieval evidences and the 11th – 12th century church of Saint Eufemia, which is by far the oldest in the area. Its foundation probably dates back to the first centuries of Christianity, although the place is mentioned in documents only since 891 as an important center of monastic life. The gabled facade belongs to the Romanesque style, as well as the bell tower; the interior has a single nave and a trussed ceiling.
This area, which is the part of land between the two branches of Lake Como, is known as Triangolo Lariano (Larian Triangle) and attracts tourists for walks surrounded by nature and excursions to the peaks of Corni di Canzo.
In the shadows of these mountain walls, to the north of Lake Segrino, there are Canzo, a summer holiday town, and the ancient village of Asso, on the banks of Lambro river. The latter center was the headquarter of the Consiglio della Valle (Council of the Valley) in the Medieval communes age and now preserves, in the baroque parish church of San Giovanni, erected on top of a large eighteenth-century staircase, paintings and frescoes dated back to XV-XVI centuries.